- Teaching Activity
- School Board
- Students Info
- CSC Fellowships
- Il BO
To the students of the Course in Biosciences
The teaching activity of the PhD program will be organized according to the following lines.
1) Each year the Course will organize some courses of general interest, while others will be organized within each PhD curriculum.
2) During the entire duration of the PhD, students have to attend a total of 3 courses, ideally 2 during the first year and 1 during the second year. Students with particular needs can decide to replace one or more of the courses with others selected from University programs or from other Doctorate Courses. In all cases, however, the chosen didactic activity must have the agreement of the Coordinator and the Tutor.
3) Courses on “Scientific English” organized by the Course or by the University are optional and additional to the three courses to attend.
(Note that this program might be changed. Please check it regularly for updates).
• Science Communication in Biomedicine and Biosciences. Dr Elisabetta Mutto Accordi. 20 hours. Vallisneri Building, Room H mezzanine floor, east side. 16:00 to 18:00 p.m.
January 17th – 24th – 28th
February 7th – 14th – 21th – 28th
March 7th – 14th – 21th
• Statistical analysis for Biological Data: the univariate case. Prof. Chiara Romualdi. 10 hours. Vallisneri Building, Room H mezzanine floor, east side. 16:00 to 18:00 p.m.
January 22nd: Introduction to plots, descriptive statistics and Statistical Inference.
January 29th: T-test for paired and unpaired data, one-way ANOVA.
February 5th: Multi-way ANOVA, ANCOVA, Non-parametric tests.
February 13th: Statistical power, how to determine the right sample size for your experiment.
February 19th: Conclusion: the right way of reporting statistical results on scientific journals.
• Biological data analysis with R and R notebook. Prof. Chiara Romualdi. 10 hours. Vallisneri Building, Room H mezzanine floor, east side. 15:00 to 17:30 p.m.
March 25th: R language fundamentals and basic syntax.
March 27th: R data structures.
March 28th: Visualizations and inference using R.
March 29th: Writing reports with R notebook.
Seminar cycles and Symposia
Journal Club Biochemistry and Biotechnology curriculum, organizer Prof. F. Lo Schiavo.
Journal Club Cell Biology and Physiology curriculum, organizer Prof. E. Greggio.
Journal Club Evolution, Ecology and Conservation curriculum, organizers Profs. M. Griggio, C. Mazzoldi.
Journal Club Genetics, Genomics and Bioinformatics curriculum, organizer Prof. S. Bortoluzzi.